Summary Fall 2008
This latest issue of the Summary includes an overview of the Institute's annual Minsky conference, which focused on the current economic crisis in the United States, its effects on the world economy, and possible solutions. Also featured is a new Strategic Analysis that challenges the notion that a stimulus package larger than the one approved by Congress last winter is unnecessary and potentially inflationary.
Program: The State of the US and World Economies
- THE 17TH ANNUAL HYMAN P. MINSKY CONFERENCE: Credit, Markets, and the Real Economy: Is the Financial System Working?
- Strategic Analysis
DIMITRI B. PAPADIMITRIOU, GREG HANNSGEN, and GENNARO ZEZZA, Fiscal Stimulus: Is More Needed?
- DIMITRI B. PAPADIMITRIOU, GREG HANNSGEN, and GENNARO ZEZZA, The Buffett Plan for Reducing the Trade Deficit
- ANTONIO CARLOS MACEDO E SILVA and CLAUDIO H. DOS SANTOS, The Keynesian Roots of Stock-flow Consistent Macroeconomic Models: Peering Over the Edge of the Short Period
Program: Monetary Policy and Financial Structure
- JAMES K. GALBRAITH, The Collapse of Monetarism and the Irrelevance of the New Monetary Consensus
- HYMAN P. MINSKY, Securitization (Preface and Afterword by L. Randall Wray)
- L. RANDALL WRAY, Financial Markets Meltdown: What Can We Learn from Minsky?
- JAN KREGEL, Changes in the US Financial System and the Subprime Crisis
- J�RG BIBOW, The International Monetary (Non-)Order and the "Global Capital Flows Paradox"
- MICHAEL MAH-HUI LIM, Old Wine in a New Bottle: Subprime Mortgage Crisis—Causes and Consequences
- JAN KREGEL, The Discrete Charm of the Washington Consensus
Program: The Distribution of Income and Wealth
- Levy Institute Measure of Economic Well-Being
HYUNSUB KUM and THOMAS MASTERSON, Statistical Matching Using Propensity Scores: Theory and Application to the Levy Institute Measure of Economic Well-Being
Program: Gender Equality and the Economy
- LEKHA S. CHAKRABORTY, Deficient Public Infrastructure and Private Costs: Evidence from a Time-use Survey for the Water Sector in India
Program: Employment Policy and Labor Markets
- DANIEL KOSTZER, Argentina: A Case Study on the Plan Jefes y Jefas de Hogar Desocupados, or the Employment Road to Economic Recovery
- PAVLINA R. TCHERNEVA, The Return of Fiscal Policy: Can the New Developments in the New Economic Consensus Be Reconciled with the Post Keynesian View?
Program: Economic Policy for the 21st Century
- Explorations in Theory and Empirical Analysis
GREG HANNSGEN, Can Robbery and Other Theft Help to Explain the Textbook Currency-demand Puzzle? Two Dreadful Models of Money Demand with an Endogenous Probability of Crime
- Special Lecture: Joseph E. Stiglitz on the Costs of the Iraq War
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Publications and Presentations by Levy Institute Scholars
- Recent Levy Institute Publications