Report October 2011
In this issue of the Report, papers focus on the prospects for US economic growth, including public-sector job initiatives; the eurozone’s sovereign-debt crisis; economic tensions between emerging market and industrialized economies; the role of global finance in real-world economies; the impact of fiscal policy on economic recovery; and estimating the Levy Institute Measure of Economic Well-Being for Great Britain, France, and Canada.
NEW STRATEGIC ANALYSIS
- Jobless Recovery Is No Recovery: Prospects for the US Economy
NEW PUBLIC POLICY BRIEFS
- Will the Recovery Continue? Four Fragile Markets, Four Years Later
- The Contradictions of Export-led Growth
NEW POLICY NOTES
- Is the Federal Debt Unsustainable?
- A Modest Proposal for Overcoming the Euro Crisis
- Was Keynes’s Monetary Policy, à Outrance in the Treatise, a Forerunner of ZIRP and QE? Did He Change His Mind in the General Theory?
NEW WORKING PAPERS
- The Dismal State of Macroeconomics and the Opportunity for a New Beginning
- Financial Keynesianism and Market Instability
- Measuring Macroprudential Risk: Financial Fragility Indexes
- A Minskyan Road to Financial Reform
- Money in Finance
- What Does Norway Get Out Of Its Oil Fund, if Not More Strategic Infrastructure Investment?
- Keynes after 75 Years: Rethinking Money as a Public Monopoly
- Minsky Crisis
- Financial Markets
- Minsky’s Money Manager Capitalism and the Global Financial Crisis
- The Financial Crisis Viewed from the Perspective of the “Social Costs” Theory
- Quality of Match for Statistical Matches Used in the 1995 and 2005 LIMEW Estimates for Great Britain
- Can Portugal Escape Stagnation without Opting Out from the Eurozone?
- Causes of Financial Instability: Don’t Forget Finance
- Hegemonic Currencies during the Crisis: The Dollar versus the Euro in a Cartalist Perspective
- The Levy Institute Measure of Economic Well-Being, Great Britain, 1995 and 2005
- The Freedom Budget at 45: Functional Finance and Full Employment
- Race, Power, and the Subprime/Foreclosure Crisis: A Mesoanalysis
- The Product Space: What Does It Say About the Opportunities for Growth and Structural Transformation of Sub-Saharan Africa?
- Public Job-creation Programs: The Economic Benefits of Investing in Social Care: Case Studies in South Africa and the United States
- Income Distribution in a Monetary Economy: A Ricardo-Keynes Synthesis
- Effective Demand in the Recent Evolution of the US Economy
- Institutional Prerequisites of Financial Fragility within Minsky’s Financial Instability Hypothesis: A Proposal in Terms of “Institutional Fragility”
- The Rise and Fall of Export-led Growth
- Quality of Match for Statistical Matches Used in the 1989 and 2000 LIMEW Estimates for France
- The Global Crisis and the Remedial Actions: A Nonmainstream Perspective
- What Ended the Great Depression? Reevaluating the Role of Fiscal Policy
- The Levy Institute Measure of Economic Well-Being, France, 1989 and 2000
- The Levy Institute Measure of Economic Well-Being, Estimates for Canada, 1999 and 2005
- 20th Annual Hyman P. Minsky Conference: Financial Reform and the Real Economy
- The Wynne Godley Memorial Conference: Contributions in Stock-flow Modeling
- The Hyman P. Minsky Summer Seminar
- New Research Associate
- New Senior Editor and Policy Fellow
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Publications and Presentations by Levy Institute Scholars
- Recent Levy Institute Publications